Monday, July 14, 2014

Compulsion

One of my favorite lines in Watchmen - and also, any story ever - is when the craziest of the outlawed vigilantes shares what drives them to go out into the night and risk their lives. In this line he perfectly captures the feelings I have about writing, dressing up and sharing my pure soul with the world.

 There is no logic to it other than:

"WE DON'T DO THIS THING BECAUSE ITS PERMITTED"

"WE DO THIS THING BECAUSE WE'RE COMEPELLED"

The thing in my life I can't ignore is this burning need to be create and engage with my imagination. It's the part of my brain that is too far-gone to turn off. In much the same way that a bodybuilder has to lift, lovers have to love and fish gotta swim...it's ineffable and it cannot be denied.

Challenge: Ask yourself - what is your compulsion? Then ask what have you been doing to let it free and, if the answer isn't easy or acceptable to you, find a systematic solution to give let it out.

Starting this week I am going to be writing/creating a lot more and a lot of is going up here.

The time it takes is acceptable. It's permitted. Because it will fill me up.  Because I am compelled.

Because to break the laws of your soul is to break yourself against your dreams... and that is the only thing that can break you.

You.

No comments:

Post a Comment